Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wednesday Notes

By Michael Haas

Today is Wednesday, and it's late October. There's really not much to write about. We write about sports a lot here at Alright Hamilton!, but sometimes I wonder if there's anything else worth writing about. I doubt it. I mean, I could tell you about the things I think about or the things I do each day, but that would even disgust me, and I'm me.


Prince is awesome. I swear that two of the best videos on the internet feature Prince.

Purple Rain in 1985
. The crowd is just going crazy the whole time.

Prince with Tom Petty and some folks performing at George Harrison's induction to the RocknRoll Hall of Fame. Watch the whole thing. Harrison's son can't believe his own eyes.

Lately, I've been thinking about how great it would be if I were able to witness the turning off of the lights in the Minneapolis skyline. They turn the three main buildings off around midnight, so tomorrow night, I'm going to sit on my back deck and watch. I'll report back how awesome it is on a scale of one to ten.

I feel like no one actually enjoys Joe Buck and Tim McCarvers analysis during baseball games on FOX. Why do they (specifically McCarver) still have jobs?

I think Casey Blake deserves almost as much criticism as Joel Skinner for the Indians game 7 loss. After Skinner held up Lofton, there was still just one out with two men on - a great opportunity to score at least that one run. But Blake bounced into a double play. Then he promptly makes an error in the bottom of inning, opening the door for Bostons massacre.

6 comments:

TwinsWin83 said...

I cant stand McCarvers, I dont think there is anyone on TV that is more full of themselves. He played baseball about 60 years ago yet he thinks he still knows more than anyone of the field today and he seems to be in such shock when someone messes up on the field or doesnt make the right decision. Like he could have never possibly screwed up himself like that.

When I hear McCarver though I tend to think of Jack Buck and the 91' series because they did the those games together, and thats a good memory.

Joe Buck isnt as terrible but it seems hes always trying to say the most clever thing at the best time. Its like hes trying to set himself up to have this great call that will live on history forever. I can just picture him in his hotel room practicing great calls in front of the mirror, waiting and hoping something huge will happen that night.

I still dont think the Twins shoulda let Casey Blake go.

Jeff said...

the prince and tom petty video is a good one

TwinsWin83 said...

Here is an interesting Blog article on cities that are long-suffering in sports. I think this is in the wake of Bostons rediculously good fourtunes right now with their teams.

I think that Minnesota should be on this list. We as Minnesota sports fans have all the requirements to be considered long suffering.

http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/

brex said...

Actually, I'd rather discuss Haas's random thoughts than sports most times.

Whats this about shutting off the lights of the skyline?? Which buildings are you talking about? wells fargo? ids? that halo one? ive never noticed this.

haasertime said...

all three. they turn off around midnight. im pretty sure that wells fargo turns off last, around 12:07am.

Jeff said...

Haas has great random thoughts i'm with Bres....i'm sick of talking about MN sports