Monday, November 19, 2007

Soccer... Fights?

I am a big fan of the sport of soccer. I have played it all my life, from when I was in the recreational leagues at the age of 5 or so and up through college and still today. I think it's a great game that is often misunderstood. Imagine what baseball might be like if you didn't appreciate the batter standing in on 90 mph fast balls or how difficult it is to pick up a hard ball coming at you at an amazing rate.

But there is one thing that bothers me about it. It's not the lack of scoring (not every sport has to be a high scoring shootout) and it's not even the diving. To be honest a well executed dive can be a beautiful (and sometimes funny) thing. The thing that really bothers me about soccer is how dumb soccer fights between players look. These athletes have been trained to not use their hands, and they seem to keep that same mentality in an on-the-field fight.

Here are a couple of examples of how bad soccer fights can be. Don't get me wrong the fans in the stands know how to use their fists, it's just the field players that could use the pointers.





For some reason the images before you click play are the same, but I assure you the videos are different, some of the clips are the same but you get the idea of what I am talking about.

3 comments:

soup said...

I seriously think they should penialize soccer fouls like they do in hockey. They should have goons too (like that guy who played Bullet Tooth Tony). I would never cheapshot a guy that had bullet tooth tony on his sideline.

Anonymous said...

Daymont, what about the soccer fighting fans? When I was back in Denmark this past June, Denmark and Sweden were playing in Copenhagen and I was outside the stadium at the fanfest/watch the game outside on huge big screen and drink beer area and I lucky enough to see this on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTA3EB3oH4

Nothing better than a drunk fan attacking a ref and then giving the W to the other team. Classic.

Anonymous said...

try that link.