Monday, November 12, 2007

Checking In On The New Twins Stadium

By Michael Haas

Two weeks ago, the Twins and Hennepin County released updated renderings, a video and a model of the new ballpark.

The main difference between the old plans and the new is the outfield seating, as shown in these two renderings. (click for larger image)































On the right is the new rendering. As you can see, the new version doesn't have the restaurant in centerfield, the seating is extended to centerfield and the building in the left field corner is different.

They also revealed the existence of a ledge, which looks like it might extend about, I don't know, three feet over the right-field warning track. It's hard to tell exactly how high it is from the field, or how far it extends, but I think their intention is to make it a gimmicky outfield peril, not unlike the hill in Houston. If Jeffrey Mayer was an inanimate object, he would be that overhang.



The overhang in question can be seen in this picture. It is the limstone-faced section in right field. That big trapezoid shaped section above the out-of-town scoredboard in right-center looks cool too.

The site twinsballpark2010.com is pretty cool. I read it a lot, even though half the time people just talk about what it will be named, and what color should be.

Green seats - what they are leaning toward now.


Blue seats - what many prefer.

To be honest, I'm just glad we are getting a new outdoor stadium. It will be a very neat part of the west side of downtown. I can see the cranes from work, but the year 2010 seems so far away.

6 comments:

TwinsWin83 said...

I like all of the 'improvements' they made from the original renderings to the ones they released a couple weeks ago. More seating in the outfield and getting rid of the resturant in center field are HUGE improvements. Now it looks more like an intimate ballpark then a suped-up entertainment center (ala Miller Park). The focus of a classic ballpark should be about whats going on on the field, not everything around it.

I like the overhang in right. I think it could be something the ballpark will become known for. I also think the green seats fit the atmosphere with the open air setting. Blue seats look a little unnatural.

2010 does seem like its about a thousand years away. Atleast be thankful you get to watch the construction progress firsthand Mike.

TwinsWin83 said...

ps. I pitched against Jeffery Mayer a few years back. We played his Conneticut Wesleyen team at a tournament in Arizona my junior year. He was like 2-3 off me and about a year later I saw him on Sports Center for setting the schools record for hits in a career or something. Wacky huh?

Anonymous said...

I like the green, but they could be puke yellow and I would still love the fact that its an new outdoor ballpark. Anyone want to get in on some season tix with me?

brex said...

I like the blue, more like the metrodome.

Sure Tone, I'll go in with ya. We should have AH! tix.

Anonymous said...

hopefully whatever color they chose, it will be a dulled flat version. no need to get flashy with molded plastic, it needs to mesh with the classy limestone facade.


as for tickets: I think we absolutly should get AH tickets. my dad is going to get a 40 game plan with one seat, and im going to get the same 40 game plan with one seat next to him. so, if one more person gets another seat next to those, we could really mix and match some games.

i was thinking front row, right field line, in that box right above the tunnel. now those are good seats.

TwinsWin83 said...

I heard a rumor that some of the seats are going to be heated. True?

If Im living within 2 hours of MPLS by 2010 I will definetly go in on some season tix.