Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fixing the Radio

By Michael Haas

Sometimes I listen to the radio. I once listened to radio stations such 93X and KQRS, until I realized those stations suck. So I started to listen to alternative and ecclectic stations like The Current and Drive105 and Cities 97. Eclectic stations are pretty good, unless you actually want to hear bands you've heard of and enjoy. So now I only listen to Kfan and MPR. It's not my fault - I feel that I was forced to listen to boring talk radio because FM radio sucks so bad. As usual, I have a solution.

92.5 - KQRS - Enough with the Mellencamp already

I have a feeling that Classic rock stations all over the country are about as lame as KQ. Bob Seger, John Mellencamp and the Eagles might be good bands, but you'd never know it by listening to a classic rock station all your life. They overplay these bands, but only play one or two songs from those artists huge catalog of music. It's insane. I genuinely dislike John Mellencamp, even though I realize that it's completely unfair. I just can't help it. All I ever hear is 'Jack & Diane' or 'Hurt So Good' or 'Pink Houses.' My point is, radio stations could still play these artists, but better songs. They are seriously doing these great artists like Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix and Styx a disservice by only playing certain tunes. I'll provide some examples, as well as some downloadable Mp3's.

Instead of 'Brown Eyed Girl' how about 'These Dreams Of You'








Instead of 'Back in Black,' how about 'Shot Down in Flames'








At least they're heading in the right direction. They do play some 'deep cuts' or whatever, but they still have a long way to go. But they still play way too much Canadian music and other 70's rock songs everyone has heard way too many times. Seriously, click here and listen to the station right now, and my point will be proven.

B96 - I'm not clubbin' right now, but I am thuggin'

As for the pop-urban station B96, I feel that they should play a wider variety of music. It seems like they just play KDWB party zone music all day long. I pine for the days when rappers made music about life, rather than bouncy unce-unce-club look at how much money I make garbage. Minneapolis has a really neat hip-hop scene, but I don't think the hip-hop station in Minneapolis even plays any of it. Remember Tupac? B96 doesn't, and they don't remember anyone who came before him either.

Instead of playing anything by the Ying-Yang Twins, how about Brother Ali?








Instead of Soulja Boy or any of the songs that sound EXACTLY like it, how about Mtume?








Well that's all for now, next time we'll discuss why all radio stations should start playing Christmas music in September.


8 comments:

Daymonster said...

As I am sure you all figured out. You can play the songs by clicking on the arrow by the player. If it doesn't work you need flash installed.

TwinsWin83 said...

Christmas music should be banned until December 20th and banned after December 25th. Five days a year. Thats it.

TwinsWin83 said...

Speaking of the MPLS rap scene I know everyone here probably knows who Atmosphere is and even if you dont you should download the song "Shhh." The song is all about Minnesota and the end is hillarious when he shouts out to places like St. Cloud, Mankato and Sioux Falls. Check it out.

brex said...

yes good song. Driving back from Fort Meyers last spring I blared this song when we crossed the border into MN. It was like 5am and everyone but me was asleep. The salut to our homestead went unappreciated.

Radio: Much bitching can be had about Clear Channel stations and their repetitive play lists. On a daily basis I yell at KQ in my car asking why this stupid song is still being played. I agree KQ sucks all day. Even the morning show isn't funny anymore. The 93x guys and randy shaver are much better.

Drive 105: Good station, too bad it turned into Love 105 but I absolutely couldnt stand JP the radio slave and his stupid accent and now he's on 93x, wtf? Fire him, dont reassign him.

The Current: Best station on the radio.

Anonymous said...

wow you are a scrooge! They should have a radio station that plays christmas music all year round. Highlighting the famous Kenny Rogers Christmas along with the new Josh Groban christmas cd...

breans said...

I am a little late on commenting on this blog, but there is one part of radio that should be banned. I can handle old songs being played over and over again, I can handle random DJs chatting about nothingness, but I CANNOT handle the Coach on the half assed morning show. There is a possibility he is funny, but in order to figure that out you have to first get past his voice, then his laugh and finally his random blurted out uninteligable sentences. All of wich I will never be able to do. When I hear the coach on Friday mornings, in the few seconds before I switch the channel, it almost ruins my Friday!

bizmarkie507 said...

U of M radio 770 AM is hands down my favorite station. They play all sorts of genres, and I enjoy most music they play. It's mostly underground whether it be hip hop, indie, electro, or even fucking country. There's some decent alt country bands out there, but nobodies heard of it cuz they don't have that horrid twangy accent or sing about getting drunk at the local bar, so clear channel wants nothing to do with it.

I'm thinking about asking for xm satellite radioi for christmas. Now THAT's radio.

Anonymous said...

I only listen to the radio romeo from noon to two. Or Twins baseball.

My favorite thing about the radio is to listen to the glory of AM radio in the middle of the night in the middle of no where. Where do they get the whack jobs to fill those time slots?