Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Rock Band: The Video Game

I have to be one of the most musically uninclined individuals of all time. But that doesn't mean I haven't dreamed of being a rock star like Axel, Prince or even that dude from Creed. Up until the last few years I had to live out my rock star fantasies in private or at the occasional karaoke bar. But I always dreamed of something more, the ability to play an instrument dummed down just enough that I could be successful.

And that game was Guitar Hero. I snatched up the game for the PlayStation 2 faster than Mama Cass Eliot could eat a ham sandwich. I still play all four of the Guitar Hero games, with the most recent version, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, currently taking up all my free time.

However, I am even more excited about a new game. A game that takes my favorite games, combines them and then multiplies them ten-fold. This new game is none other than the highly anticipated "Rock Band."

For those of you who do not scour the Internet superweb for updates on video games, let me explain the premise behind Rock Band. The game lets four equally nerdy people play over 45 songs spanning 5 decades (full song list) on small plastic guitars, basses, vocals and drums. How could this be possible on one screen?

As you can see in the image above the Guitar is on a track to the right, similar to the Guitar Hero style board that Harmonix made famous. The base line is on the far left with the drum track in the middle. Of course the vocals scroll along the top from right to left, like the equally fun Karaoke Revolution Series by Konami.

Now this might looked cluttered, and if it weren't for the newer wide screen TV sets all the young kids have these days it probably would be. But not only can you rock out on the same TV, you can rock out over the Internet or with a LAN (Local Area Network). This lets you get together with your bandmates from down the hall to across the world.

Now I hear you out there. "I don't want to be jamming with a little plastic Fisher-Price Guitar." And the good people at Fender must have heard you as well. That's why they made this solid Fender Stratocaster replica so you can look cool will playing fake guitar over the Internet. The guitar features 5 fret buttons to be used while strumming the sting bar, and unlike the Guitar Hero guitar, it will also have 5 similar fret buttons at the base of the neck that you can finger tap for sweet solos where no strumming is required.

Also featured on the guitar is a whammy bar and a five-way FX switch lets players choose their own showboating audio FX, including flanger, wah wah, echo, and chorus.

As you could probably guess the same instrument can be used for lead guitar, rhythm or bass. Also, the official word on if the Guitar Hero guitar will be compatible is yet to be seen for certain but most sources are saying it will, but with some limited functionality (i.e. finger tap fret buttons).

Yes, guitar playing video games are not new, and have by many people's accounts have already been perfected. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for drums.

The drum kit (which ships with the game) is probably the most anticipated aspect of Rock Band. The drum kit includes a snare, bass pedal, tom-tom, hi-hat, and crash/ride cymbals. The kit ships with real drumsticks and any sticks can be used. Here is a picture of the kit. As stated before, the game ships with one guitar, one drum kit and one wireless microphone. I won't bore you with too much info on the microphone as I am going to guess it will be the least fun instrument in the band, but sources say that you can freestyle lyrics to get the crowd pumped, as well as use it as a tambourine or cowbell when appropriate (think: Blue Oyster Cult).

The game will be released for PS3 and Xbox 360 on November 20th, and a PS2 version will follow shortly in early December. It should sell for about 170 dollars for everything.

I know where I will be at 12:01am on Novermber 20th, but I am interested in getting the AH! reader/contributor's views on this game and others similar. I know we have a lot of musicians in our group and I would appreciate their views and opinions.

8 comments:

Daymonster said...

Feel free to take this down if someone has something better. and by the looks of the drafts people do.

brex said...

Purple discussion from Monday: Joe Mauer should play QB.

bizmarkie507 said...

no this is fine. We suck at writing on a daily basis so anytime we have a surplus is great. Game sounds highly entertaining, I should most definitely check it out.

TwinsWin83 said...

I just got a Wii and havent been more entertained by a video game console since N64 came out with GoldenEye, and I'm not a big video game guy and never have been. My question though is there anything like the Rock Band for Wii? It seems like it would be fun.

Jeff said...

wooters you don't need this game...you play the real life rockstar game.

haasertime said...

guitar hero makes my wrist hurt as if i were joel zumaya. the only problem with it, is that theres not enough songs, and the fact that i cant play it bymyself. it's not fun by myself.

as someone who can sortof play guitar, i would say that video game guitar is lame. being able to play real guitar doesn't help one play the video game guitar because the blue button has multiple notes and sounds in the same song. it's lame.

but the drums are what intrigues me about 'rock band'
i'd bet that you actually have to be able to keep a beat to play drums on rock band. so it shouldn't be too different from real drums.

twinswin, you should get guitar hero.

Daymonster said...

There is plans for rock band for the Wii but it's not coming out in it's initial launch.

Haas,

I realize GH isn't for everyone but it gives me the opportunity to pretend like I can play the guitar.

Also, someone from harmonix said that if you can play the drums on Hard, you can play the real drums.

Daymonster said...

Also,

Rockband plans to release a new album every week for download. First up is Metalica (althought I don't know which one)