Thursday, November 29, 2007

Excitement That Divides

By M. Haas

When a sports team is doing well or playing in the post-season, there is a certain buzz in the air. Everyone seems like their a fan and there's unbridled optimism. But in the off-season, there's a different kind of buzz in the air; especially when deals and made amongst still more rumors. But the situation doesn't unite fans like a playoff chase does. Everyone has an opinion, but the opinions are generally not optimistic. These are the times that divide baseball fans. It's every Twins fan for them self.

The Twins traded Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and some minor league reliever to the Tampa Bay Happy Sun Rays for outfielder Delmon, infielder Harris and minor leaguer JP. I call them by their first names now that they're Twins - we have a good vibe. There are many different opinions on the trade. I think the most rational thought being, "well, we will see." But most fans realize the Twins need a bat, and have a bunch of arms, so it makes sense.

Then there's the whole Torii Hunter fiasco. I've heard thoughts that break down into the following:

1. Good riddance
2. I didn't want him to leave, but he's way too expensive to keep
3. I didn't want him to leave, but I'm glad now, cuz I realized how stupid he is with all his comments lately.
4. The Twins definitely should have ponied up the money and year. Pohlad is an idiot.
5. Torii hunter is a selfish bastard, he should have taken the 3 year deal the Twins proposed.

And of course there's the Santana thing. I'm not sure what people think about this, because it's still very possible he'll be pitching for us in 2008. And of course it all depends on the players/prospects we get for him.

So I think what I'm trying to say is: It's an interesting and trying time to be a Twins fan. It's like giving your prized '58 Corvette to some fat mechanic you only met two months ago, and he's going to overhaul the whole thing. I feel helpless, but In Billy Smith I Trust.



keep up with the action by visiting:

Strib Beatwriter Joe C's Blog

Strib Beatwriter Lavelle's Blog
MLBtraderumors.com
Bat Girl checks in! Thats big news.

7 comments:

Daymonster said...

I like Delmon Young, however I am worried about two things. How he will fit in with the Twins organization (attitudewise) and his 1 walk every 7.1 games.

haasertime said...

i'm concerned that justin morneau or joe mauer will be the emotional leader, the voice of the team, the example for the rest of the squad.

i've said this many times but to mauer and morneau, but i'll say it again: GET A PERSONALITY.

TwinsWin83 said...

Is it just us three left on AH?

I couldnt put it better myself mike, I honestly feel helpless as the team we once knew has seemingly disapated. But I, unlike you, do not know if I have faith in Bill Smith yet. He certainly lacks the patients that Ryan had and Im not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet.

It has seemed to me for a while now that the Twins are content with building their team to be ready to compete in 2010 for the new stadium and have given up on the next two seasons. This seems not only incredibly rediculous to me but I dont know how a franchise could set a target date like that and actualy come through on it.

haasertime said...

who were some of terry ryan's patients? did he work with players ala kevin mchale?


it doesn't really seem to me that they are necessarily building for 2010. the garza-delmon thing was just filling a need by trading a surplus.

and you can't really argue with the santana thing. can you?

Daymonster said...

I was going to comment on the patients thing, but i decided not to. haha.

Yeah, I think the building for 2010 thing is what we tell ourselves when the twins dont make moves that seem to impact that much for the next 1 or 2 years.

Anonymous said...

I'm really excited to see what Delmonsy and Harrissy can do in the line-up that needed some major upgrades. I think Bartlett and Garza have a lot of potential I and would have loved to see them have success as Twins, but I trust the scouts on this one.

TwinsWin83 said...

I didnt realize we were being graded on spelling. Without spellcheck I dont stand a chance.