Monday, July 16, 2007

Espys Disappoint...

by Jeff H.

Once again, the Espy awards did not fail to meet my extremely low expectations for the event. Whether it be the overplayed under armor commercials, with 10 year old girls preparing for battle, or Lebron James hosting, the Espy awards are a complete joke. There are too many awards and too many egos. By the way, there is a new award this year, the “Hummer Like Nothing Else” award, and believe it or not there are four guys and only one girl nominated. I don’t know about you guys, but if I won the “Hummer Like Nothing Else” award, I would have trouble putting it up on the mantel.

I love watching the highlights of the great plays, but that is as far as it goes. The Espys bring too much attention to individuals in many team sports. Why not nominate the San Diego Chargers offensive line for an award? Instead of nominating Ladanian Tomlinson for six awards, let’s see how far he gets with no one blocking for him. Also, the Espys give some athletes chances to boost their already heightened egos. If I hear the name Lebron James one more time I might vomit. Lebron James and Paris Hilton might be the two most talked about people in this country, but at least Lebron has one talent. I won’t lie, I didn’t watch much of the Espys this year, but I knew exactly what to expect. Since I don’t own a television, it gave me an excuse to head to the bar on a Sunday afternoon (they played at 3 p.m. over here in Hawaii). I caught a little here and there between sips of my tasty booze drink, but here’s what I expect went on. I’m sure every single athlete started off their acceptance speeches by thanking God. I’m sure hummer, under armor and miller brewing dominated the commercial scene. I’m sure they had an Espy for just about every single category imaginable. I’m sure that there were idiot celebs in the crowd trying to get their face on tv, and I’m sure that it was very lame.

Espn just give me one ultimate highlight reel for the year, let’s leave the Espys out of it…..

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate awards shows, and the espys is the worst one. I haven't watched them since probably 10th grade for exactly the reasons Jeff talked about. They have gone the way of the World Series and Christmas and gotten to commercial for my liking. Although the WS and Xmas still have a long way to go before I boycott them as I have awards shows.

Daymonster said...

The idea for the ESPYs is awesome. I remember in '93 when they first had it, i thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever. I envisioned 2 hours of non-stop top plays and web gems.

But as Jeff and TFR have pointed out it always, ALWAYS disapoints.

soup said...

Lebron seriously hosted it?
Wow. Wow.

Call me sexist, but I hate it when they include men and womens sports in the same "Best Team" category. I'm sure the North Carolina women had a very nice soccer team, but nobody cares.

Yeah, I haven't watched the ESPYs since high school either.

haasertime said...

how about how the cover of ESPN the magazine featured Jimmy Kimmel and Lebron James in tuxedos and the lead story was talking about the ESPY's. So much for journalism, let's advertise!

there is a large backlash against ESPN that's slowly building online.

i'm sure we could all write a story about a different aspect of ESPN that we don't like.

someone already did a pretty good job of it:

http://100percentinjuryrate.
blogspot.com/2007/07/
time-to-stick-it-to-espn.html

Daymonster said...

that post is great. and some of the comments are even better.

bizmarkie507 said...

yes, I too have not watched the espys for many years now, and I too have grown to despise espn. If I hear Stuart Scott attempt to say a badly outdated "black person slang" one more time, I'm going to fart bloody diarrhea.

Holmer said...

the jimmy V award was very moving, and the only award that i appriciated.

the espys is the only award show for athletes though. so i have to watch it. even if it is only to see the four awards worth my time. i also enjoyed seeing lebron. hes a great rapper.

next year, we should have an espys party and have our own nominations for "hummer like nothing else".

Jeff said...

wooters that is really disgusting. I am going to do everything in my power to stop Stuart Scott to save you from that horrible disaster. On a completely different note, I hope some of you still read this. I have one quick question, in an interview the other day I was asked to name one person in my lifetime who I look up to or is a hero of mine. I could not think of anyone, but I made something up on the spot really quick that I didn't believe. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is their really no one out there,or is just a really stupid question (because i thought it was)...

Daymonster said...

Micheal Vick?

brex said...

Nick Punto

haasertime said...

i remember that just about every single year back in grade school we would have to write a short essay about our hero and why he/she is such. I pretty much had a standard essay engraved into my head because i wrote about Kirby Puckett every year. Then to my amazement in my sophmore college writing class we had to write a 'my hero' essay again. i wrote the EXACT same thing, and threw in some shit like 'i don't care what anybody says about him. two words - not. guilty.'

so yeah, that question is kinda bullshit cuz you could never know someone truly enough or see their perspectives or walk in their shoes for them to be your hero. but you could have a version of someone to be your hero. i dont think it's stupid to pick and choose characteristics to admire. maybe you could build a mega hero, by taking all your favorite qualities from famous people or friends or family and combining them. sweet. i love mega heroes.

bizmarkie507 said...

Dougie Baseball and dead musicians are my heroes.