Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The division that no one wanted to win

By Michael Haas

It was bad vibes all throughout the cities on Tuesday leading up to the Sox-Twins play-in game. Last weeks three-game sweep provided near certainty that the Twins would pull out a miraculous come - from - behind division championship. But when the Twins dropped two of three to the Kansas City flippin' Royals, and the Tigers screwed everything up by losing on Monday, Twins fans found themselves backed into a corner. The real Twins of September had returned, while the White Sox were gaining energy. Even as Blackburn pitched a shutout into the seventh, the offense could only muster a couple hits against the Sox southpaw. The inevitable homer came, and the Twins were done.

But the White Sox deserved to win this division - at least, more than the Twins. The White Sox won their last three games of the season, all absolute must-win games. Eastwood was right when he said "deserve's got nothin' to do with it," and the Twins could have pulled it out with a lucky bounce or two - but the fact remains that it was there for them, and they screwed it up.

How did they screw it up? Let me count the ways:

Alright, so I looked at the stats, and there are no clear scapegoats in the Twins 11-16 September. So instead I'm just going to say this:

Morneau: have fun with your MVP campaign, hitting .250 over the past month, while not driving in a run in the last six games and not hitting a bomb in the last 19.

Mauer: hope the batting title comforts you after an 0 for 3 and two strikeout night.

In one sense, I'm happy that they were even playing meaningful baseball in September. But I can't get over the fact the Twins fucked it up.

11 comments:

haasertime said...

let's do a playoff pool.

Unknown said...

This close to a totally different game.

haasertime said...

damn that's a crazy picture.

If anyone has anything to post, go ahead and do it. I wrote this knee-jerk reaction literally as the game was ending. So if anyone has a more level headed analysis of the season, have at it.

soup said...

I agree lets do a playoff pool.

TwinsWin83 said...

I guess that pic just proves Cuddy isnt Hunter. Hunter woulda knocked that ball clear outta there or he woulda atleast dropped AJ with a left hook when he ran up to him to show him the ball after he tagged him out.

Daymonster said...

If want to see some really hateful stuff, check out the comments on a lot of sox blogs.

Daymonster said...

Also, I can start setting up the play off pool. Same rules as last time?

bizmarkie507 said...

Here's some thoughts on the season:

Cuddyer shouldn't have gotten an extension because he's the most overrated Twin in the past 10 years.

Denard Span needs to be cloned about 4 times over.

I wish they would've sent Gomez down midway through the season, because he'd be that much farther along in progress for 09.

Mirajes has not only been impressive since being called up, but he's been impressive in clutch situations. Goodbye Reyes, I'd say I'd miss you but...

Despite what some say, Scott Baker is ace material. He is as money as it gets in big game situations.

Delmon Young has gotten criticized as unfairly as anybody in major league baseball. After a miserably slow start, he finished the season hitting .290 with 69 rbi. oh and he's only 23 years old.

lastly, I'd like to point out that I expected the Twins to finish a distant 4th in the Central. I was pleasantly surprised. This team is going to be good next season.

Daymonster said...

For sure Biz...

But I feel (and dread) so will the Indians.

TwinsWin83 said...

Phillies in 4

Cubs in 3

Rays in 5 (I hope in 3 games all via the 10 run rule)

Red Sox in 5

I wish I coulda put together a playoff preview for this round like last year but I just couldnt find the time with conferences this week. That and Im a little too bummed right now to think about the playoffs that much.

Maybe for next round.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Biz...Denard was awesome, and Scotty is our ace. Still really like Gomez despite the two strikes bunting and his tendency to swing at anything. Delmon will be great next year! I still really like Cuddy. Sometimes you can't control who you love. I think the Twins will kick ass and take names in '09.