Thursday, August 2, 2007

What Jersey Would You Want?

by Mark Waters

My goal over the next few years is to have a wardrobe completely full of sweet sports jerseys. So I've been compiling a list of jerseys I'd give anything to have. Now some of the following are almost impossible to obtain (cost me a pretty penny) but it's still fun to dream. So here it goes in no particular order.



DAVID ORTIZ TWINS JERSEY.

As Much as it pains me to know that we could've won at least one championship had he stayed, I still would love to have his Twinkies jersey. There's something about jerseys of superstars before they were anything, especially when they played for small market teams. i.e. Carlos Beltran Royals, Gary Sheffield Brewers, Joe Nathan Giants, etc.



HAROLD MINER MIAMI HEAT.

This pic says it all. He was the most electrifying player coming out of college, but has to be hands down the biggest disappointment in the history of sports. If you sported one of these anywhere in public, you would get at least a few, "wow, holy shit! You have the best jersey ever" comments every time.





ANY JERSEY FROM THE HARTFORD WHALERS ERA.

There's something about a momento from a team that no longer exists that gets me every time. Possibly the whole vintage, out of print, only will appreciate in value with age factor is what sparks my interest. Not to mention their old school logo, and green and blue colors are beyond tight. I just bought a sweet whalers t-shirt on ebay, and eventually I'll drop a cool 300 on a real jersey, solely raising my wardrobe grade up at least a full letter.


WILLIE MAYS MINNEAPOLIS MILLERS

In 1951, The Say Hey Kid played a grand total of 35 games for the Giants' AAA affiliate. During his extremely short stay in Minneapolis he hit .477. I'm guessing you'd have to break into a museum to obtain this piece of history, but man oh man, it would be worth it.





GOD SHAMMGOD UNIVERSITY OF PROVIDENCE FRIARS JERSEY

Not only does #12 have the coolest name in the history of sports, he completely tore it up during his run to the great eight in the 97 NCAA tournament. (it was called the great eight in 97, why did they have to change it to elite eight?)

He did virtually nothing in his short lived career with the Bullets, but this dudes name, and mean crossover made him immortal.


SATCHEL PAIGE CLEVELAND INDIANS JERSEY

One of my favorite players in baseball's history. His influence on getting black players to play in the majors, a shoe in hall of famer, and his stories that could fill a book the size of the bible, Satchel was one of the most interesting athletes in the 20th century. I urge you all to read his bio on wikipedia and to read the book "Don't Look Back: Satchel Paige in the Shadows of Baseball"




So there you have it folks. If the ladies or gentlemen reading this have any jersey's that you'd love to have, please comment.

10 comments:

Daymonster said...

Love the post.

However one problem, referring to your first post about big time players with small market teams before they were sweet, has one problem. A. The cubs are not a small market team and B. Any Maddux jersey would undoubtedly be associated with his later stint with the cubs (04-06).

Check out his card... http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/madduxdon.jpg

But what really makes Maddux sweet is that he turned down a huge deal with the Yankees to play for the Braves. While I hate the braves, I hate the Yankees even more.

bizmarkie507 said...

Good point daymonster, I just changed it

Jim H. said...

I'd kind of like to have a collection of Twins Jerseys for players who were a bust in less than a season. Bret Boone; Alex Ochoa; Tommy Herr; Sir Sidney Ponson. These could be displayed every time Terry Ryan tries to convince us that another aging veteran or some guy who has bounced around and accomplished nothing is worthy. And wearing these to games would prove that the wearer is either (a) very knowledgeable about past Twins rosters or (b) nuts.

soup said...

I would love to have an authentic Ruben Sierra twins jersey.

The best jersey I own: Bobby Hurly Sacramento Kings. When i wear the jersey I put the "fun" back in fundamental.

How about a darryl strawberry Saints jersey?

I would love to wear a Big Train senators jersey to a twins game.

My friend has this Lisa Lobo WNBA jersey that he wears to every pickup basketball game we have. i laugh every time.

oliver miller harlem globtrotters, mark settersrom rams jersey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Setterstrom), fletch f. fletch lakers jersey,

...I could spend hours

soup said...

oh, and a doug mientkiewicz olympic jersey

http://www.gamesinfo.com.au/postgames/en/images/vol2/05_the_competition/06_baseball/01_27.jpg

bizmarkie507 said...

nice soup, those are some gems. The Lobo Jersey reminded me that I was going to mention a Seimone Augustus Jersey, because she is like the Kobe Bryant of the WNBA. Whoops.

And I just thought of this now, but a Dimitrius Underwood Vikings Jersey would be priceless.

haasertime said...

good call on the mientkiewicz olympic jersee.

i'd want:
roy hobbs new york knights jersee

jack morris saints jersee

henry roangarner cubs jersee

kirby puckett calumet college jersee

babe ruth boston braves uniform

hank aaron inianapolis clowns jersee

jackie robinson UCLA jersee

TwinsWin83 said...

"Breakfasts come and go Rene, but Hartford, "The Whale" they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime."

I cant think about the Whalers without thinking about that line Jason Lee drops on his girlfriend while playing NHL 95 on sega in the movie mallrats.

-Paul Sorrento Twins jersey

-An original Minnesota Moose hockey sweater

-Ray Allen draft day 96' Timberwolves jersey

-Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez Dodgers jersey



good post wutur

Anonymous said...

Wuter, I once sat next to an old fat guy who was wearing a Willy Mays Minneapolis Millers jersey. I was in such shock I couldn't find the words to ask him where he got it.

Mike, Roy Hobbes New York Knights jersey was my number 1, but I recently acquired one. I will be sure to show you next month. I've been looking for one of the hats but I can't find them anywhere.

top few on my list would have to be:
Dave Winfield Padres
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB1-1312926reg.jpg

Willie McGee Cardinals, because he may be the ugliest players in the history of sports.
http://www.tias.com/stores/hac/pictures/williemcgee6a.jpg

My number one as of right now:
Jaromir Jagr 98 Olympics Czech Republic jersey.
http://www.netikka.net/jagr/wrpics/jagrolymp98.jpg

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the obscure twin I would want. Its a tie between Jay Canizaro and Butch Huskey.