Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Things I've learned to appreciate over the last yearish:

By Tony F. Rezac

Its been quite a while since I've posted anything, but all this anniversary hub bub has inspired me to reminisce on the past year. Over the year that AH! has existed I've learned to appreciate quite a few new things, and rediscovered a few others. So, without further ado, here's some random crap that I like.

A good cup of coffee, I first started drinking coffee about 2 years ago. I know, that is not within the last year, but hear me out. It was horrible instant army coffee, poured like tar and tasted more along the lines of butt. When I finally got home from Iraq in November I started drinking Caribou Coffee and I haven't looked back since. My personal favorite was the perennial blend, but unfortunately that was seasonal and they recently stopped selling it. So, the search is on for a new favorite. Any suggestions?

Bratwurst: I've always loved myself a good bar-b-q, but until recently I've always preferred burgers, hot dogs, or what was my favorite: Chedderwurst. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a burger or dog, and if I could get over how bad they burn my tongue I would still love chedderwurst. But already this spring, I've really started to enjoy brats, they still give me terrible heart burn though.

The interweb: You really take it for granted until you lose access to it. In Iraq I didn't have access for over 5 months. I was completely cut off from the real world, terrible! Instead of explaining how we rely on use of the interweb, I'll just refer you to the South Park episode called "Over logging."

My two feet: With gas prices approaching 4 bucks, I've learned to walk places. I guess I'd still rather have it the other way though.

Frankie and Annette movies: This goes along with my post about teen movies sucking these days I stumbled across "Beach Blanket Bingo" one hungover Sunday morning, and was instantly in a better mood. There is nothing better than taking a step back into the carefree 50's, with all the singing and dancing. They are just teens on the beach trying catch some rays, a buzz and some tail.

Lost: I watched a few episodes of Lost during the first season, thought it was pretty good but never got hooked. But while In Iraq I borrowed the first season on DVD from a friend and couldn't stop watching. I know the whole premise is absurd, and has only gotten more so in the current season. But, I'm in so deep I have to find out what happens.

Legos: Legos were my favorite toy growing up, but I completely forgot how sweet they were until a few months ago. Being unemployed, I Spend countless hours of my day struggling to find something to do. On one such occasion I went to Target to buy a new DVD, directly across the aisle was the Lego display. Being a Star Wars nut I was instantly amazed how realistic and accurate the Star ships were.


So, I purchased an AT-ST (the two legged walkers the Empire uses on Endor in episode VI, Return of the Jedi, pictured above) and spent the rest of the afternoon putting it together. Since then I've purchased a few more sets and built many others with the ones I and some friends have grown up with, they are hours of entertainment.

Board games: This goes along with legos, I loved boardgames growing up but lost touch with them until about February. My roommates and I played a marathon game of risk one night for no reason. Since then we've played "Clue", "Guess who?", "The game of LIFE" and "Sorry." They are a great way to kill time. Anyone know of any other good board games?

So there you have it, some things that I am enjoying these days. What are you enjoying? Let me know in the comments.

9 comments:

Daymonster said...

I feel very tempted to buy legos every time I am at target. But I already have enough stuff that doesn't really serve a purpose after you have already built it.

If lego made like a stadium series, that would be sweet. Where you could build replicas of some stadiums.

Daymonster said...

I was all about the wolfpack lego back in the day.

I had this... I can't believe it's worth this much now.

James said...

Did someone say boardgames???

There is a semi-underground, let's say cult following of what are called designer/euro boardgames. These games differ from traditional main stream boardgames in that they are less luck driven and more about strategy and planning. That's not to say they are not approachable for new players.

Take a look at boardgamegeek.com.

or look up settlers of catan, puerto rico and ticket to ride on amazon.com.

Good luck!

brex said...

Tony ima walk to your house and we are going to play legos, boardgames, and eat brats. In the morning we will head to dunn bros. OK! Lets Go!

Daymonster said...

Count me in.

haasertime said...

i love legos, but i'm obviously too cheap to buy the new sets. I have lot laying around. The lego stadium replica thing is the greatest idea i have ever heard, daymonster. And thats crazy how much those old legos are worth. I spent all my time buying up baseball cards when i was a kid. I thought they'd be worht millions after earing stories of mantle cards in the 50's. Damn.

I would love to play the new paperless version of monopoly. It's all on credit card. Supposed to be wild.

yeah james, whats that one board game that geekys play these days? pioneers? settlers? something like that..

Yeh, we should bike, eat brats, and play connect 4. oh, and drink coffee.

soup said...

I just sent this email to Lego:

Dear Lego,

My friends and I think it would be a good idea to have Lego sets that are replicas of Major League Baseball stadiums. Think about it: Legos and Baseball? It sounds too good to be true, but I trust you can make it happen.


Regards,
A. Hamilton


I'll keep you posted on their response

soup said...

Dear LEGO® friend,

Thank you for e-mailing the LEGO Group. We are happy to know that your family enjoys building with LEGO toys. Your comment and/or question is important to us and we will answer you as quickly as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 1-800-835-4386.

FOR YOUR SECURITY, PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. CONTACT US AT 1 800 835-4386 WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COLLECT THIS INFORMATION IN GENERAL EMAILS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Best Wishes,
LEGO Customer Service

PS. This email has been sent from an auto-notification system that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not respond to this message.

bizmarkie507 said...

I've learned to appreciate the Steve Wilkos show. I watch it every chance I get. I've sent three emails in hopes that he'd read one at the end of his show and send me a free t-shirt.