Thursday, January 10, 2008

Is No News Really Good News?

By TwinsWin83

As I go into this I have no idea what I’m going to write about. I just told Mike I would so here I am, sitting and staring at the screen trying to think of something interesting that is going on in the sports world. I’m not even sure there is anything happening right now that is truly newsworthy.

Goose Gossage got into the Hall of Fame. Good for him, but get back to me when Bert gets elected in three years.

Tony Romo went on vacation with Jessica Simpson. I don’t care.

Roger Clemens was supposed to go before Congress but that got pushed back until mid February.

The second round of the NFL playoffs start Saturday, but unless the Patriots lose I’m not really interested.

The T-Wolves were fun to watch the first couple weeks of the season but the excitement over their new players and new style quickly faded as the losses pile up at record pace.

Apparently Brett Farve is leaning towards returning next year. File that one under shocking news.

The BCS title game was boring and kind of predictable.

The Gophers Men’s basketball team won its Big Ten opener over Northwestern. Cool, but Northwestern isn’t exactly Indiana or Michigan State. Freshmen Blake Hoffarber scored 15 points. Remember Blake Hoffarber? He only made the most ridiculous buzzer beater shot in Minnesota high school basketball history. The kid won a frickin ESPY.

According to the Star Tribune the Twins have gotten involved in serious, yet under-the-radar, talks with the New York Mets about a Johan deal. That’s kind of interesting but I’m done getting worked up over possible trade options. We’ve been burned on that front one too many times.


It’s clear we are going to have to venture out of the sporting world to come up with an interesting discussion topic.

Eden Prairie High School suspended students over Facebook pictures of them drinking. People appear to be so shocked over this situation but I went to a symposium two years ago where my college’s entire athletic department, from players to coaches, were warned about posting compromising items on Facebook and MySpace. This isn’t a new issue and in the year 2008 students should know better.

My only problems with this issue is that several of the students who were punished apparently had “red cups” in their hands and it was simply implied that the cups contained alcohol. Now, there probably were booze in those cups but there is no way to prove that for sure and thus it can not be assumed. The other qualm I have is with the person who decided to hand in all of the compromising photos to the administration at the high school. It states in the story that the administration did not go looking for the pictures but instead they were brought in and dropped on them, forcing them to deal with the issue. So who was the loser that went out of his/her way to gather up all these pictures and haul them over to the school with the obvious intent of creating this brouhaha? I think that person should have to identify themself if they are going to be resonsible for getting so many students into hot water in a fashion such as this.

I’m not sure I like this new generation of technology and online networking sites that seem to create more issues then they’re worth. Call me grandpa, but I miss the good old days when the only way you knew what your friends were doing was if you picked up your land-line phone and called them up and asked.




That's all I could dig up from the news pages. Oh well, something is better than nothing. Right?

1 comment:

haasertime said...

the EP situation is a good talker. nice word too, bruohaha. like the beastie boys song.

i think they shoulod ban high schoolers from facebook. knowing dumbasses from EP are on it makes me want to leave it.

its a stupid situation in EP, and the students reacted stupidly by attempting a 'walk-out'

like 15 kids walked out, and half of them probably just didn't want to be in school.


don't forget about the wild being sold. snore.