Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Favorite Holiday Songs?

By AH! Staff

We're putting together a holiday mix CD to go along with the holiday cookbook. Not sure how many people have supplied their favorite recipes but hurry and get those in. For this holiday project there are just two questions we'd like to have answered in the comments section.

1- What are your favorite holiday songs?

2- What are you favorite dishes/recipes?

To get you in the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus song mood here is the list of the least favorite songs from a study done this year by Edison research.

The links are YouTube videos (usually slide shows) with the song playing.

5. Barbara Streisand's "Jingle Bells?"
4. The Jackson 5's "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"
3. Elmo & Patsy's "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
2. South Park's Eric Cartman (voiced by Trey Parker), "O Holy Night"
1. Singing Dogs. "Jingle Bells," the This 1955 Danish record (reedited and rereleased in 1970) is just what the name and group say it is: a bunch of dogs woofing out the familiar tune.

I'd tell you the list of the favorite songs but I don't want you guys to just steal from it. But in the interest of citing my sources you can check out the article about the favorite and least favorite songs here.

11 comments:

TwinsWin83 said...

It might sound weird but I always liked John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War is over). I'm not sure if that even qualifies but I really am not a fan of Christmas music. Number two would have to be the Jingle Bells Batman Smells remix from about 3rd grade.

Anonymous said...

I love the John Lennon song as well, and Cartoon Network has been using the 3rd grade remix in its commercials for "Batman, The Animated Series." But my all time favorite Xmas song is either Frank Sinatra's "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or the David Bowie, Bing Crosby's duet of "Peace on Earth." With a slight edge going to Bing and Dave.

Daymonster said...

I don't like to admit this but I like the Mariah Carry song "All I want for Christmas" and I like it because I just enjoy the song and also I like the part where it is in the movie of Love Actually.

I understand if I can no longer be involved in AH!

Anonymous said...

Neko Case does a terrific cover of an old Tom Waits tune:"Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis." John Prine's "Christmas in Prison" is good, too.

Anonymous said...

Also check out Antsy McClain's "Christmas at the Trailer Park."

TwinsWin83 said...

Batman the Animated Series from when we were growing up? Do they still air that? If so I need to call my cable provider and tell them they have to pick up Cartoon Network.

Anonymous said...

I would have to list anything by Alvin and the Chimpmunks in the least favorite list. Also, what was once a favorite, The Carol of the Bells, has been ruined by so many stinking commericals that I can't stand it any more.

My favorite would have to be "Santa Baby" -- either the Madonna or the original Eartha Kitt versions.

soup said...

mariah carey: all i want for christmas is you

any of the rat pack's christmas stuff is good too

Anonymous said...

my two least favorite songs are So this is Christmas (war is over) by John and Yoko, and "Santa Claus is coming to town" by Bruce Springsteen.

i like trans-siberian orchestra. tfrezac and i are going to their concert next year. Also, bizmarkie showed me an awesome version of 'deck the halls' by mannheim steamroller.

I also read that the most played chistmas song on radio last year was 'sleigh ride' I like that song.

agreed with the rat pack. Let it Snow is great.

TwinsWin83 said...

negative Ned returns.

Anonymous said...

Twinswin, the very same progrum from when we were kids. Daymontster, I love the Mariah Carry song for the very same reason. Love Actually is one of the best movies ever made.