Monday, December 17, 2007

Case of the Mundays

By TwinsWin83


-I really like KFAN. From PA and Dubay to the Common Man and even Mike Morris it’s nice to be able to listen to Minnesota sports radio all the way up here in North Dakota. But over the last week the talk on all of these shows has been a bit too upbeat on the Minnesota Vikings for my liking. Between the radio hosts on KFAN and the rest of the media across the country (*cough* ESPN *cough*) the Vikings already have their ticket to the postseason stamped and ready to go. If any of them used even the slightest bit of hindsight to recall the history of this franchise they would tip-toe a bit more carefully around their guarantees of Viking glory in 07.’

Now this isn’t to say I don’t hope the Vikings make it to the postseason this year, I’ve just learned over my years of cheering for the Purple that you can’t guarantee anything with them until the final whistle blows. There was a time in my life when I would get all worked up and excited over the Vikings when they showed promise like this but what hope and faith the 98’ team didn’t strip from me the 2000 squad finished off in the Meadowlands that January.

So, as I will be cheering for the Vikes to continue their impressive play over the final three games of the season and to carry that over into a postseason birth I will not be making any plans to watch them in January until a playoff spot is mathematically guaranteed. (Does no one remember the Vikings in Arizona on the final day of the 2003 season?)

-Miami finally got a win yesterday. Good for them, but to be honest I was kind of rooting for them to go winless this year. I’m not even really sure why, but did you see them after they won? It was like they had just won the Super Bowl.

-From the Department of Redundancy Department: Johan is still a Twin and it seems like there isn’t a realistic trade option in site. I logged on to my favorite sporting webpage the other day and saw a headline that the Yankees and Twins were involved in talks again and I got excited. I still think the trade for Hughes, Cabrera and one more top-tier prospect is the best option for the Twinkies. I just wish they would pull the trigger on one of these things so we could all move on with our lives and begin debating how the team is going to be in 08.’

-The D-Backs are going to be good next year. They swiped Haren from the A’s and if Randy Johnson comes back healthy and can contribute to a starting staff that already includes Brandon Webb Arizona should make another run at the World Series.

-As much as I dislike Roger Clemens at the moment I think I believe Andy Pettitte’s story that he only took HGH for two days in 2002. And for some reason I don’t judge players who get caught using HGH as harshly as I do the ones that get busted for steroids. Maybe I just don’t know enough about HGH.

-Did anyone see I Am Legend this weekend? I didn’t get a chance too but it looks pretty good and it made a ton of money. I think for his next movie Smith should do Independance Day II: The Aftermath. I just feel like there is more to that story.

-I heard a rumor the Vikings are going to be wearing all purple tonight. Purple jerseys, purple pants. That’s a lot of purple.

-I’m not sure that Mike Lamb and Adam Everett are the answers to our prayers for the left side of the Twins infield. They might provide solid defense but neither is much of an improvement on the offensive end from what we’ve had going on over there the last few years. Who knows, maybe they will both prove me wrong.

-Apparently steriods can't help you make the throw from second base to first. Sorry Chuck. Or stay healthy enough to help your team and warrent your big salary. Sorry Rondell.

-That’s all for now, I need to get ready for the big Monday Night game now. Those Vikings are unbeatable. All roads lead to the Super Bowl.

8 comments:

soup said...

I equate being a vikings fan a bit like being a red sox fan. The red sox had really good teams for a lot of years but came away with heartbreak instead of world series rings. The vikings too have had a number of very good teams...and we certainly know about the heartbreak. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I feel confident saying the vikings are the winningest team to never will a NFL championship/super bowl. Statistically, it is almost a certainty that they will win a super bowl in our lifetime. when that day comes it will be all the sweeter.

I like the lamb signing. I think its a big improvement over the alternatives. releasing Tyner makes me think a centerfielder will be in the works in the santana trade (elsbury or melky). I personally want hughes and melky.

Dbacks run a really good organization.

TwinsWin83 said...

the vikes have to be the winningest team never to win a super bowl. If you look at their overall history its a very good one with tons of division titles, playof apperances, great teams and hall of fame players. We expect for them to be a playoff team every year and if they arent we are disapointed and not many NFL organizations can say that.

That being said it is rediculous that they have yet to win a super bowl considering all the great teams that have been a part of the franchises past.

Anonymous said...

great teams? theres been only one in the past 35 years.

espn.com is your favorite website? i'm straining to think of a better one, but if you want to fit into the sports blogging scene, you should really start ripping 'the four letter' i will throw up an anti-espn post soon.

i think it will be a three way tie for the 2008 AL MVP: chris everett, mike lamb and craig monroe. and brendan harris will be world series mvp. and i say this only because the above comments are both negative.

TwinsWin83 said...

I guess you didnt get the saurcastic overtone to my comment about my "favorite" sporting website. I will be more clear next time.

One great team over the last 35 years? You just hate everything Vikings you negative Ned.

soup said...

One great team in the last 35 years haas?

In 1973 the Vikings went to the super bowl
In 1974 the Vikings went to the super bowl
In 1975 the Vikings had a 12-2 regular season record and were knocked out of the playoff by a Staubach hail mary
In 1976 the Vikings went to the super bowl
1998 the 15-1.

You should have said the last 30 years, but I get their point. There were, however, a lot of good teams and a lot of playoff teams.

Daymonster said...

certainly not the real haasertime.

haasertime said...

yes, i meant 30 years. there has only been one great team in the past 30 years. and many good teams. i dont remember why this came up.

Anonymous said...

I remember the final game against the Cardinals of the 2003 season. Just talked with Aunt Mary about it last night.