Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Former Intern Gal Has Arrived!

By Krystal W.

That's right, gentlemen, this is a Former Intern Gal writing from my new post in Peoria, IL. Since most of you have no idea who I am, let me introduce myself. My name's Krystal and I interned at KFAN a year ago. It was basically the best internship ever. I screened calls for Common and Chad two days a week and went to Twins games, sat in the press box (sometimes next to Jack Morris or Tim Laudner), ate free hot dogs and pretzels, then went into the clubhouse to get the post game interviews and see Joe Mauer naked. (Yes, that really happened.)

Am I telling you guys this to make you jealous? No, that's just a fringe benefit. Really, it's just to show how much I love baseball, the Twins and sports. I majored in Journalism at the U of M, hoping, one day, I'll be the executive producer of Baseball Tonight. Right now, I just got a job in Peoria, IL, where I produce the 6 pm newscast. Michael invited me to this blog because of our mutual adoration for everything Twins and to contribute a little female perspective. So, if you guys have any questions only a girl can answer, just let me know. I'll be happy to listen. Although, I must warn you: I took a "How Girly Are You?" quiz on Facebook once, and I scored only a 35%.


Okay, I'll leave you with just a few things I think I think, so you can get to know me better (and, yes, I shamelessly stole that from Peter King):

-The Office is the best show on TV. This is important, because if you're like me, you can tell a lot about a person by which TV shows they watch. Others include: Arrested Development, Curb, LOST, The Wire, and Always Sunny. And since I'm getting free HBO in my new apartment, I've just gotten into Entourage.

-I've been in Illinois for only three days, but I already miss the Twins terribly. So much so, that I teared up every time I heard Dick Bremer's call of Justin's walk-off Sunday. And ESPN played it a lot. (I got MLB Extra Innings, but it sucks. It never works. I don't recommend it.)

-I'm counting down the minutes til Harry Potter comes out, both the movie and the book. And if you're shaking your head in disgust right now, fuck you. You don't know what you're missing.

-All my friends are getting engaged right now, and all I can think is,"Over/under: 4 years."

-Favorite baseball movie: Field of Dreams of course. But, growing up, I must've watched Angels in the Outfield a few dozen times.

-I prefer the DH. Now, I know it's not the pure way the game was meant to be, but the Wild Card is new, and we can't dispute that wasn't a great idea. I think the DH just makes the game more exciting and trying to figure out a double-switch gives me a headache.

-I was there that final Sunday in October, when the Twins clinched the division. Pretty much the greatest day of my life. (Although, I must say, that going into that game, I wanted them to face the Yankees. I had such a good feeling that we could finally beat them, but we had to face Oakland and make Barry Zito look like Sandy Koufax, securing him an absolutely outlandish contract, which basically assured Johan Santana's eventual departure, because there's no way we will ever be able to afford his next contract.)

Okay, that's what I got for now. Any questions?

13 comments:

bizmarkie507 said...

Glad to see you on board, former intern gal. This sausage fest definitely needed some female perspective. If you ever land your dream job at Baseball Tonight, you should fire John Kruk. I called in to Common a couple times last year, but I only spoke to some dude on the phone.

Oh and P.S. If you own a Rondell White Twins Jersey, Haas will probably ask for your hand in marriage.

Alright, I have to go pass out again. Mono sucks. Oh yeah Haas and Bresnahan - If you guys have a horrible soar throat, you should go to the doctor, cuz you might have mono like me.

haasertime said...

you could get some weird questions 'only a girl could answer' coming from this group.

Agreed about the DH. i was born in an american league town in the 80's. enough said.

i hope you gave me mono waters. i would go up north or sit on my deck for a week. i hate sitting in an office in flippin june. i need to become a teacher so i dont have to work in the summer.

krysumn said...

Thanks for the welcome wishes. And I feel you on the mono. I had that freshman year. It was so bad I had to drop out of fall semester and I ended up failing Sculpture. F***ing Sculpture. My GPA still hasn't rebounded from that and even spent an extra year there. It took me five years to graduate from college, but my excuse is that I did two majors. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

tfrezac2002 said...

Glad to have you aboard. 35% isn't very girly though. I feel your pain about being away from MN, yesterdays game was the 3rd game I've had a chance to listen to all year (all of which they have lost) and I had to stay up until 5 in the morning for it.

Waters, you shouldn't have done those 20,000 women and you wouldn't have gotten Mono.

Daymonster said...

Well I interned at Cosmo Girl! so if you guys have any questions on weight loss tips or how to tell if he is the one, let me know.

Anonymous said...

All right, here's a girl question for you: What does it mean when a girl slaps you and calls you a pervert for making hand gestures around your chest? My own chest mind you, not the girls...I was simply referencing her chest and grunting a little.

I don't know if it matters, but my other hand might've been down my pants.

Was she saying she liked me?

TwinsWin83 said...

Just named the 3 best shows on televison in the last 5 years. Lost, Arrested Development and Entourage. I like it.

soup said...

I like your choice of TV shows as well. Have you seen the BBC office? It’s 24.5% better than the American version.

If H.R. still worked at Baseball Tonight, would you let him sexually harass you for a job at Baseball Tonight? (if you were wondering…I would.)

Is tattooing a name of a girl that you have a crush on your face romantic or creepy?

I like that Common lets his interns talk on the radio sometimes…what was your best contribution to radio history?

Twins are coming to Chi Town on the weekend of the 6th…Anyone want to go? More importantly does anyone want to egg AJ’s car when we get there? You going to any games that weekend Krystal?

krysumn said...

Yeah! I'm going to Sat. afternoon's game. I'm wearing my Twins shirt, so you may see my obit in the paper Monday. I don't have tickets, but I'm going with another friend and we're just going to get them that day, I think.

I do love the BBC Office. Ricky Gervais is some sort of genius. But I fell in love with the American version first, so if push came to shove... But I would rather the end of the world come before I would have to choose between those two.

As much as I loved Harold Reynolds, and I most definitely did, if he ever did anything like that, I'd punch him. Hard. And if that cured the problem, then he could stay.

Yes, tattoos on your face are just generally a bad idea. See: Mike Tyson.

I talked on Common a bit, but I actually talked on Chad more. I told my stoy on how my car was broken into. That got a lot of calls. And I also bashed American Idol.

Holmer said...

There is no shame in being lured in by the naked body of Joe Mauer.



"Papa Bear"; what are you?

haasertime said...

yea soup i was thinking of going down there that weekend. double header on that friday.

Daymonster said...

I am going to the day game on friday, the night game on saturday and the day game on sunday.

I am wearing my SUX shirt under my killebrew jersey.

Hopefully I'll see some of you kids there.

krysumn said...

The game on sat. is at 3, i think. b/c we're on fox. If any of you are going, let me know, cuz i'll be there!